December 7, 2022
Ever wonder what IPTV is? How can you tell if it is legal?
IPTV, also known as Internet Protocol Television, is a term that describes services that allow you to access TV via the internet.
IPTV uses an analog signal instead of supplying viewers with a set time for TV. Instead, IPTV allows viewers to stream whatever they want, whenever they wish.
IPTV services use servers to store content. This means it won’t have to be broadcast at specific times like traditional TV.
Is IPTV Legal?
You might be wondering if IPTV is legal. However, there are some IPTV services that are legal.
Legal IPTV services like YouTube and Hulu adhere to copyright laws. If a service provider doesn’t have the appropriate licences, it is considered illegal.
Each show that is made available via legal IPTV services must comply with IP laws and obtain the required license.
This doesn’t mean that the free IPTV apps are illegal. In most cases, however, you will have to be able purchase the application.
(1) providing protections to web service companies in specific circumstances where their users are involved in copyright infringement such as by establishing the notice-and-takedown systemthat permits copyright owners to notify online service providers of copyright infringement so that the material can be removed; (2) encouraging copyright owners to provide more access to their work in digital formats, by offering them legal protections from the unauthorized access of their work (for instance hacking passwords, hacking passwords, or avoiding encryption)
While IPTV services can be penalized for illegal content, there were very few penalties for those who intentionally stream copyrighted content.
But, this has changed with new legislation, The Protecting Lawful Streaming Act of 2020. This law allows the Department of Justice, to impose criminal penalties against illegal IPTV service providers.
The Copyright Act can also be used. Copyright Act protects film, music, and artwork. It ensures that Canadian companies and individuals cannot access the content without permission.
In 2019, the Notice and Notification system was updated to ensure copyright owners don’t have to directly demand or fine ISPs for streaming or downloading illegal content.
Unlicensed IPTV users may be prosecuted if found to have used illicit IPTV services.
Are You Watching Illegal IPTV Streams?
You can rest assured that all the major IPTV services like Netflix, Prime Video and Hulu are legitimate. It is possible to identify a fraudulent IPTV provider.
The legal IPTV service is easily distinguished by its name. Because they don’t have to pay for production or licensing costs, the illegal IPTV provider are often cheaper or free.
Although Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency have become more popular methods of paying for legitimate services, illegal IPTV providers are more inclined to use them because they are difficult-to-track.
The quality of the video or audio content is another indicator that an IPTV service is not licensed.
Illicit IPTV services may also allow for pop-ups, advertisements, or buttons that link to other websites.
Why You Should Avoid Illegal IPTV
While it’s easy to point fingers at illicit IPTV providers for breaking the law, people who use these services also put themselves in danger.
Other than the obvious moral obligation to not view illegal IPTV, there are many other sinister reasons why you should stay away from these services.
- Unauthorized IPTV Services are purchased using credit card numbers. There is no guarantee that you will receive the IPTV services that you paid for.
- Illegal IPTV service providers can steal your personal data and sell it to hackers. This could expose you to fraud.
- Malicious streaming sites could infect your device with viruses and malware.
- Your ISP can terminate or suspend your service if it finds you are streaming illegal content or using illegal IPTV providers.
Support Legal IPTV Providers
It can be frustrating to not have access to certain films or TV shows in your local area. This is especially true when you hear about other people’s excitement over the new show.
But, illegal IPTV consumption is not worth the risk to most viewers. There are many legal, licensed IPTV providers who are happy to offer legal content.